Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Summer reading

I'm compiling my list of books to devour this summer. Since I barely read at all for recreation during the school year, I have to take it all in, for the most part, during the hot weather months. I've gotten a jump on it and started one, Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar (which, so far, is really good and peculiar), and I've put a few others on the list, but I want my readership's input on some must-reads. After all, you do have a taste for fine literature. Clearly.

Here is my list so far:

1. The Bell Jar
2. Ian McEwan's Atonement
3. Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones
4. Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita
5. Philippa Gregory's The Other Boleyn Girl
6. Truman Capote's Breakfast at Tiffany's
7. Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner

Have any of you read these? Any recommendations?
In case anyone's wondering how I plan to spend my summer days, see below. This is me, after my cool fountain bath laden with perfume and rose petals.

16 comments:

LT (and Max) said...

please don't ask me to read any of those books with you.

The Texas VicHorns said...

go ahead and mark lolita off your list. it's uncomfortable, on the border of nauseating.

extremely well crafted, but a subject matter that will turn your stomach.

Unknown said...

i have read the lovely bones. good read.
trey just finshed kite runner. he says it will make me sad and i shouldn't read it. I liked it, though.
i am just telling like I heard it.

ps - i linked your blog on today's post. you should check it out. it's nothing you don't already know, of course.

Unknown said...

when i said "i liked it" i meant "he liked it"

LWolfe said...

The Secret Life of Bees....I liken myself to May....literary JOURNEY! I love southern lit. Sue Monk Kidd is the author. She used to write some for one of our magazines.

LWolfe said...

also, A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken....AMAZING!!!!

Unknown said...

i finished the other boleyn girl the day it came out in theatres. we read it for my book club. yes, i'm in a book club.

the book was fantastic. the movie was crap.

i read the entire thing in about 3 days, so be sure and say goodbye to your friends and family before you disappear.

h

Anonymous said...

The Other Boelyn Girl....fantastic. FANTASTIC!

Anonymous said...

What is the What- by Dave Eggers... illuminating....

mary straton said...

i agree with hales - other boelyn girl book awesome, movie crap. you know my feelings on lovely bones. i also really loved memory keeper's daughter.

how have you never read the bell jar?

Anonymous said...

Kite Runner is dark and rather violent. Bell Jar is dark. Atonement was good..haven't seen the movie. Mrs. S.

Anonymous said...

I loved the Kite Runner as well as his other book. I would also recommend The Memory Keeper's Daughter.

Barbara

Jack, Emily, SB & Annie said...

i agree with mere. lolita is a bit disturbing, but if you enjoy pedophilia, go ahead and read up.

also, i haven't had time to read the kite runner yet, but i did see the movie and it was terrific but sad. i also heard the book was great.

Paige DeAngelo said...

Hi there! I just finished reading The Bell Jar. I liked it, but in the end...have a whole new outlook on Miss Sylvia Platt.

Atonement is a fantastic read!

I haven't read the Other Boleyn Girl, but my roommate did and loved it. The movie was very traumatizing for me. Do not recommend watching.

Unknown said...

I just finished the kite runner, and loved it...it is rather sad, but not sad, i am crying, sad. I lvoe the author and just started another of his books.
That's all.

-Amanda

Obuff said...

Hello sweet Claire! I hope you are doing well! I definitely recommend The Lovely Bones, Secret Life of Bees (I think you would love this one), and The Memory Keeper's Daughter is phenomenal. Don't know if you have read Eat, Pray, Love but it is sooo thought-provoking. You would love that one too. :) I wish we could hang out! I always enjoy you so much!
Olivia