Sunday, April 20, 2008

where the deer and the antelope play...

West Texas was all I hoped it would be and more. LT, Mere and I had THE BEST time this weekend in the wild west. Alpine (and surrounding areas) was NOTHING like any place I've ever been before. I sort of felt like I'd been dropped onto the set of an old western movie.

The only thing that could have made the weekend any better is if 1) I'd seen the station wagon with a pastoral mural painted on it with real, huge horns (bull or elk--not sure) built into the sides, and 2) if I had encountered a cowboy with a curled mustache who subtly whistled when he made "s" sounds in his speech.


I DID see plenty of handlebar staches, though, so that was almost as good. I really don't even know where to start recounting the trip. Laura and Mere are going to post all the exact same pictures, so I'm trying to beat them to it.


We arrived Thursday late afternoon and stocked up on groceries of the healthy sort (cheese, wine, and wine and cheese) in Midland before heading to Alpine. That night, all we did was sit around, drink wine, and howl with laughter much overdue. Meredith's friend Amanda baked us tons of sweets, and we might have had one or two of those, as well.


Really, I won't even TRY to tell you how much we ate while we were together. Because there's no reason your stomach should hurt as much as mine does right now. My appetite is WHACKED for a good week, at least.


Anyway, most of our time was spent riding down long, flat roads and enjoying the mountains, duststorms, antelopes and other cattle, and tumbleweed. The desert is much prettier than I thought. Here are some pictures.




If I ever become a famed country music singer, I already have an album cover.
This was the best margarita I've ever had. Ever.Real chaps, ladies and gentlemen. I think they fit me surprisingly well.Meredith didn't want me to post this one. It was an accident that I even TOOK it. Which makes it even more ripe...Meredith Horn, in her element.Practicing for my next trip out west. You think I'm kidding? Nay.The greatest hosts ever.This was not a funny joke.
What an all around extraordinary weekend. I miss these girls so very much. I'd move to Alpine if I knew we could live like we did this weekend all the time. But as fate would have it, I do not have ranching know-how, nor the ability to break wild cattle. So I don't think I'd have too much luck with employment. For the time being, I suppose I have to stay here in tame Birmingham.
Until, that is, we make our fortunes and can retire and retreat to the wild to write our memoirs.
Until then...don't squat with your spurs on.

5 comments:

The Texas VicHorns said...

I think you meant to say "dust blizzard".

Since you've posted the most unattractive photos of me EVER, I will be forced to post the video of you roping wildly in the wind.

I MISS YOU SO MUCH ALREADY.

PS- I'm starving

LT (and Max) said...

why aren't we still there? :(

i totally can't believe you posted that pic of mere...well, yes i can.

also, you're right. it WOULD be fabulous for us to live like that all of the time. we would, however, be fat and sick all of the time.

Unknown said...

i laughed out loud at the picture of you frantically trying to catch the car amidst the sand and tumbleweed.
classic.

Jack, Emily, SB & Annie said...

claire: loved all the one mans.

i'm still jealous that i couldn't go. i could have pitched in with a few dfrost stories.

mary straton said...

i know you meant to say that the 3rd thing that would have made the weekend better is if I had been there.