Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A perfect late summer recipe

While I could (and maybe should) be blogging about some of the weightier things that have been occupying my mind of late, I'm not because I'm just TIRED. Since school started, working days for me have been pretty much 7:15 on the nose to 6:30 or 7 each night. And all during the day basically all I hear is "Miss Hardin!! Miss Hardin!! MISS HARDIN!!!!!!!!!!!" I forgot how absolutely sick of hearing my own name I can get. Turns out 7th graders have A LOT more questions than 8th graders. And more often than not it's a question that I have quite literally answered no more than 5 minutes prior.

So what I would love to share tonight is what I think is my favorite recipe I've made all summer...I would love to give credit where credit is due, but I don't remember where I found this. I certainly did not make it up myself. Wish I could do that.

I'm not one for exact measurements when I cook, so know that all measurements are approximate.

Summer Veggie Tostadas

1 chicken breast
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp cumin
2 Tbs vegetable oil
1 c chopped zucchini
1 c chopped white onion1 c fresh corn
1/2 c green salsa
2 Tbs chopped fresh cilantro
whole wheat tortillas

1. Combine salt, pepper, and cumin and mix well
2. Sprinkle evenly over chicken breast
3. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat4. Saute chicken, about 3 minutes on each side
5. Transfer chicken from skillet to plate and shred
6. Return chicken to the skillet and add corn, onion, and zucchini - saute about 2 minutes, or until chicken is done
7. Stir in salsa and cilantro, cook 2 more minutes
8. Line baking sheet with tortillas and spray with non-stick cooking spray or spray butter
9. Broil tortillas until lightly browned (I cut the tortillas into triangles)
10. Remove from oven and spoon chicken & veggie mixture over tortillas11. Top with shredded cheese & broil again till cheese is melted
12. Sprinkle w/ more cilantro

And here's what you'll end up with...

You could skip the broiling step for soft tacos. Either way, it's FANTASTIC. Very highly recommend for a last jaunt with summer veggies before fall sets in, which I'm guessing will be late October around here based on the weather we've been having.

Have a good one, folks...I'm off for a shower, a glass of sauvignon blanc, and some good reading to cap off my last night at 28...that's right, tomorrow is the first day of the last year of my beloved twenties. RIDICULOUS.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

I think it may be from cooking light. I love it too!