Sunday, November 21, 2010

christmas trees, elodie, crafts, and a few really good songs

It's been a really good weekend here. Besides plowing through a massive stack of essays (definitely still not finished with those) + prepping a middle school newspaper to go to press, the weekend's been filled with christmas craftiness, babies, and good music. Thought I'd share.
Even though it's ridiculously early, the tree went up this weekend. If we'd waited any longer, really, the juice wouldn't have been worth the squeeze. This is the first time I've had a BIG tree- it was actually my childhood best friend's family tree growing up.

Isn't it pretty? I'm really hoping it survives the season.
I got to keep Elodie for a bit while Kate & Will snuck off to a wedding shower downtown & loved every second of squeezing her.



Had some more time with the Grahams and some other fine individuals this afternoon over some crafting. I made this wreath from Design Sponge's tutorial and think it turned out pretty good.

It now adorns the bookcase.

I'll leave you with a few great songs that I can't stop listening to.
1. Beauty in Walking Away - Marie Digby
I still don't really know who this is, but I stumbled across this song last week and have had it on repeat ever since. Something about its lyrics just sticks with my soul. Here's a vid so you can listen...try to ignore the weird bobbing of the neck. ???
2. Flags - Brooke Fraser
I went to see Brooke Fraser at WorkPlay here in the Ham last weekend, and she was phenominal. A New Zealander who is gloriously quirky and weird, her songs are a delightful cross between Sara Groves and Sarah McLaughlin. I really love this song in particular.
3. Love is Still a Worthy Cause - Sara Groves
It's no secret that I want to BE Sara Groves. I would go so far as to say that second only to scripture itself, her music has played the most critical role in getting me through the most difficult of days over the past five years. She herself is a former English teacher, and one time after a concert I got to tell her how much her music means to me. One of my favorite conversations of ALL time. :) Enter one of my faves (and the story behind it).



Hope everyone has a great start to the week and HAPPY THANKSGIVING.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to an 8:30 bedtime. You read that right.