Saturday, January 17, 2009

welcome, mr. president

My absence from the blog has been so long, I feel like I need to re-introduce myself.

Blog readers, this Tuesday, January 20, 2009, yours truly will be among the 1 million + people surrounding the US Capitol building for Barack Obama's inauguration.
Pray for me.
I just hope I live through it. We're taking 40 8th graders on a field trip to D.C. for the event. While I am really excited to be there for the ceremony, I don't like crowds very much, and I don't think there's any way to mentally prepare myself for a crowd of this magnitude.

Then there is the issue of temperature (hello, thermal underwear), and the hours and hours of walking and standing in this weather. I'm not going to lie, I'm concerned.

We are leaving tomorrow at 7 p.m. to drive through the night on a charter bus. Again, with 40 8th graders. Not sure I am mentally equipped for this either. But bring it on! I'll make sure to bring a detailed report back for you when I return.

No other updates, really, except that I picked up another little side job (for those of you who may not know, I quit the Anthropologie side job awhile back, and haven't regretted it a bit.) Ladies and gentlemen, I'm teaching an ACT prep course. Just the English, reading, and writing portions, that is. This is incredibly ironic - me and the ACT NEVER got along very well. I would go as far as to say that the ACT was my worst enemy, in fact. I thought a few of you might get a good laugh out of that.
I'm off - here's to hoping I live to tell of this historic adventure.
Ya'll have a good week.

6 comments:

Tassie said...

I took 40 middle schoolers from Key West, Florida to New York City for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Twice. I can relate to the weather and crowd concerns...I too was worried. Those chemical hand warmers (I think you can get them at the evil Wal-Mart) worked well for us...and we marched in the parade. Best of luck to you as embark on this adventure...it'll be one you always remember!

LT (and Max) said...

that's going to be an experience you won't forget! :) i will be thinking about you! we many not get a chance to talk before you go, but we need to SOON. you're missed very badly by me.

oh, and glad to see you blogging a bit. you're missed in the blog world too.

Meaghan said...

Wow. What a trip...just the thought of being in your shoes makes me a little unsettled! :) Have a great time!

Laura @ Our Messy Messy Life said...

I used to get so anxious just thinking about taking my class of
3rd graders to the Memphis Zoo! Good luck!!

mary straton said...

i am so envious and proud of you! Godspeed!

LWolfe said...

I just had a mild heart attack reading this post!