Sunday, March 8, 2009

if you want an interesting read...

Here is a list of a few recent favorites:

1. Allow me to recommend an author I just discovered. Neil Gaiman's books, I think, are on their way to becoming modern children's classics. I heard of him awhile back, but only now have begun reading The Graveyard Book as part of a book club. I don't normally read childrens literature apart from things work related, but this book I am truly enjoying.
I have read that it is a re-telling of sorts of Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book, only set in a graveyard. He reminds me, though, of a cross between C.S. Lewis and Lewis Carroll. That might be elevating this book a bit too high, but do with that what you will. I thnk he is that good.

He also wrote Coraline, which is now a movie starring Dakota Fanning. The Graveyard Book is fantastically strange, featuring characters like the man Jack, Nobody Owens, Scarlett Perkins, the Sleer, and the Indigo man. Msk(s), I think you would enjoy this book. Trust me.

If you like listening to audiobooks, you can hear Neil himself read The Graveyard Book chapter by chapter here. Magical.

2. Tales from Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan

Another children's book, but, I think, appealing to adults as well. I really love it. Read short review below.

Mr. Tan imagines a quirky but special world that lies within our ordinary lives. Each tale is accompanied by Shaun's art that goes from the whimsical to the beautiful. Each tale evokes a different feeling and changes the way you see your everyday existence. It is a humourous, thoughtful, playful and poignant collection of little tales masquerading as a groovy art book.




3. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

This book I could not put down. It grabs you immediately and doesn't turn loose until the last page, where you will be left likely needing an entire box of Kleenex. It raises some important ethical questions on a controversial medical issue - preimplantation genetic diagnosis (think petri dish babies) - it was just fantastic. I highly recommend it. Laura, I think even you would like it if you gave it a chance.
I haven't forgotten about the DC email; it is forthcoming. For security reasons, I will only work on it at home (vs. on a school computer) and since my computer is sick, I have limited time to finish writing it.
Wait for it...
Happy Daylight Savings!!!






2 comments:

LT (and Max) said...

i'm actually beginning my search for a couple of good books to take with me to the beach (yes, i know i'm 2 1/2 months away from it, but STILL). perhaps i will try one of these books!

mary straton said...

ooo, claire, fantastically strange sounds right up my alley. and i have picked up my sister's keeper several times in the bookstore but never bought it. glad to hear a review.