Saturday, February 12, 2011

bits of my weekend and a thought or two

1. I made Darby's homemade peppermint patties this afternoon. As someone who's had a love affair with Junior Mints since the mid-80's, I of course felt like I was embarking on the armageddon of all recipes.



At first, I thought I'd make them tiny like our favorite creamy mints in pure chocolate and then I would be able to come here and tell you that I MADE JUNIOR MINTS!!!!!

But that would have been more time consuming than I could afford, and really - if I learned how to make a near-actual Junior Mint in my own kitchen, what else would I have to strive for? I'm pretty sure that would mean I would have peaked at 29.

So it was much better for my psyche and my waistline (I think) to just make the patties. They turned out great and they are decadent.

Also, am I the only one who thinks its funny yet appropriate that Junior Mints is on Wikipedia?

2. Who does Justin Beiber think he is?

3. Along the same vein, Katy Perry is taking over the airwaves station by station, and I believe it is directly affecting the quality of life wherever a radio is turned on.

4. I love this side pony via Cup of Jo (also msk(s) gave it a shoutout).



I tried it, following the instructions exactly, and loved it. For the first 30 minutes after I fixed it. After that, though, I looked like I had been run over by two trains traveling in opposite directions.

This was likely because you're supposed to do this with second-day hair, and well, it's been more than two days since I've washed mine. You don't need to know how many, either.

I do look forward to giving this another try though. I have high hopes.

5. How much would I love to add this to my little library? Even if it is only the cover of the book?! Beautiful.

6. New favorite album: The Spares - Everything is Easy

Love, love, love, love, loooooooove this.

My very favorite of their albums is Glory and Grace, a collection of original worship songs that draws from two passages of scripture: Matthew 11:28-30 and Isaiah 6:5-7. The album follows a liturgical order and it is exceedingly beautiful.

7. Watched Toy Story 3 tonight. I might have shed a tear or three.

8. A friend from church, Cory, has a sweet Etsy shop filled with happy letterpress. Calendartines: A Valentine for every month of the year!

9. You know, I think I might be willing to sign up for a day of school in June for another snow day THIS MONTH. I need it badly.

I have decided that seventh grade is not a grade level, and it is not an age. Indeed, seventh grade is a disease. I have now taught each of the middle school grades and sixth and eighth are peculiar purgatories, but seventh is the only one I will say is a disease.

If I had to compare it to a more well-known disease it would be one of the nervous system like tourettes, or maybe rabies.

Among my favorite nicknames I have issued this year: Mexican Jumping Bean, Church-Mouse, Nightstalker, and Redial.

10. I've narrowed my costume for the 2nd Annual Oscar Night at the Fox Den to three:

Mattie from True Grit
(I could do the hair well, I think, and I love her clothes. No really, I do.)




Woody from Toy Story 3
I would even write "Andy" on the bottom of my boot (anybody have a cowboy hat and beltbuckle I could borrow? Vic Horn, can you help a sister out?)

Inception
I would wear pj's, fuzzy slippers, a sleep mask, and spectacular bed-head hair.

I ruled out Mark Zuckerberg because, well, I don't want to get a haircut to play the part. And the Queen of England is out because she made a screen appearance once. That is not even a character.

And I have no desire to be the Duchess of York.

Obviously, my allegiance lies with Alice in Wonderland (which I'm re-reading right now - joy by the page!) but this endeavor would be far too costly - timewise and moneywise - to pull off well. And I just can't disgrace Tim Burton or especially Lewis Carroll with a sub-par costume job. You understand.

What's your vote? It might be hard to top last year's Avatar.

This is likely way more than you cared to read regarding my weekend and thoughts that are certainly neither here nor there. If you're still reading, thanks for staying.

Hope everyone has a lovely week and a happy Valentine's Day tomorrow!

3 comments:

Kissey said...

i need you to put up a follow button. just sayin'.

Claire said...

What even IS a follow button? I don't EVEN know!!!

Kissey said...

ha! check out the design options under gadgets - it should be there. if not, it's ok. i'll just blogstalk anonymously.