Monday, February 7, 2011

garmin, you have failed me

Happy Monday!

Today was a pretty good Monday. I won a door prize at faculty meeting, and I'm usually not a winner. So that was cool.

I have a great story for you that I meant to write about a few weeks ago. I think most people who read this are folks who've known me for years, so this won't be a surprise to you.

It's just another testament to my phenominal, second-to-none inner compass.

A couple of weeks ago a pretty well-known young adult author visited our school. She's the author of many of my kids' favorite books - she is very, very good - here's the promo for her latest book:



An eighth grade boy won a national essay contest that she sponsored last summer, and first prize was a free author visit.

By default, I became the person in charge of this author visit. Hosting an author was far more work and prep than I originally expected, but it turned out really well and I learned so much in the process.

The first night she was here, a couple of teacher friends and I were taking her out for a good salad and glass of wine. We decided on the Tavern at the Summit and I went to pick her up at the hotel. My friends were meeting us there, but we'd get there a few minutes ahead of them.

First, when we get there, the Tavern is "COMPLETELY not where it was the last time I was here!!" So I made another lap around Saks and circled back around. Still no Tavern. I rolled down my window in the pouring rain and asked a traffic guy where the Tavern was. He pointed to the restaurant directly to my right. I sheepishly rolled the window back up and glanced over at my author guest.

our guest of honor, our winner, and me

"You know, it really wasn't there just two months ago. And by that I mean I do not know my left from my right. I'm sorry."

So we got out, got our umbrellas, and headed into the Tavern, talking ninety to nothing. We got in and were seated in a booth. As we ordered wine, I mentioned that the restaurant was much darker than I remembered. Different lighting. Slightly different atmosphere. Way more crowded.

The waiter brought us our glasses of wine, and the author excused herself to use the restroom. My phone rang, and it was my friend Nisha. I told her we'd gotten a great booth and already ordered wine. We had their seats waiting for them.

As I hung up the phone, I glanced down at the menu in front of me.

And then I gasped in horror.

We were in Fleming's, one of (I think) the most expensive steak houses in the greater Birmingham area. It sits right next to the Tavern. I had totally not paid attention when we walked in.

I cursed.

As soon as the author came back from the restroom, I confessed.

"You are not going to believe this but we are in the wrong restaurant and I cannot hang with Fleming's. We have to go next door (where my friends had been waiting for at least five minutes by now).

I totally should have just told the waiter that our friends had decided to meet up somewhere else and we needed to pay for our wine and leave, but no. I told him that I thought we were in the Tavern but alas, we were in Fleming's, and I just could not hang.

So we paid for the wine and left - the author in a state of bewilderment and "who IS this person they have hosting me??!!" and me, well, sheepishly.

My friends have not, and will not, let me forget this. Ever. And rightfully so.

Anyway, I got the best thank you card I've ever received today from her in the mail. Part of it said,

"You are so like me - ending up in interesting places. Turning corners that lead to adventure. Keep being you. We add flavor & joy to the planet. Your love for people, and your students, is a big bright light, and I felt warm & safe in its glow."


Besides the fact that she's just a great writer, I loved this letter because it made me feel like there is some sense to my chaos, some direction to my "where the hell am I??!!" And it's ok if I don't see it sometimes.

Because really, let's be honest, most of the time I don't.


Hope everyone had a great weekend- anyone else supposed to get snow this week?

4 comments:

Tricia said...

I want to write thank you notes like that.... that was amazing!

Meaghan said...

Love that story and love that thanks you note! :) Thanks for sharing!!

Kissey said...

i love this. beautiful note, by the way. authors must always write like that.

Marty said...

Ha! You are one of a kind, Claire. I love that about you. That story reminded me of your trip to Kurt's ordination. It meant so much to me that you were determined to make it, even though you got lost. My grandmother still hasn't let me live down the fact that I wore jeans to his ordination. Hell, I'm not Vanna White! Love you.