Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Sara says it best on the last day of school

I'm going to be cheesy today. Be warned. As many of you know, I'm a fan of Sara Groves. Her songs often articulate life in ways that I just can't, and below is one such song. It is the song that is currently playing on my life soundtrack, if you will.

Today marks the last day of a year that, quite honestly, I didn't think I'd survive. I'll spare you the drama, and instead just say it's been without a doubt the toughest, most trying and unyieldingly exasperating year of my almost 26 years on this earth, though the most intense love I've ever felt towards a people group has emerged in the middle of it.

I'm also adding a few verses from Isaiah 42, because I love that chapter and because I have felt more like the "bruised reed" and "smoldering wick" this year than ever, but have also seen how he's taken hold of my hand and will not falter or be discouraged until he accomplishes all that he promised.

I'm sure there will be tougher days ahead, but having come out on the other end of this in one piece is a refreshing reminder of the ultimate mercy and astounding faithfulness of our God to carry us through.

Less Like Scars

It's been a hard year
But I'm climbing out of the rubble
These lessons are hard
Healing changes are subtle
But every day it's
Less like tearing, more like building

Less like captive, more like willing
Less like breakdown, more like surrender
Less like haunting, more like remember
And I feel you here

And you're picking up the pieces
Forever faithful
It seemed out of my hands, a bad situation
But you are able
And in your hands the pain and hurt
Look less like scars and more like character
Less like a prison, more like my room

It's less like a casket, more like a womb
Less like dying, more like transcending
Less like fear, less like an ending
Just a little while ago I couldn't feel the power or the hope
I couldn't cope, I couldn't feel a thing
Just a little while back I was desperate, broken, laid out, hoping
You would come
And I need you a
nd I want you here
And I feel you and I know you're here
And you're picking up the pieces
Forever faithful
It seemed out of my hands, a bad, bad situation
But you are able
And in your hands the pain and hurt

Look less like scars
And more like Character


A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out. In faithfulness he will bring forth justice; he will not falter or be discouraged 'till he establishes justice on earth. In his law the islands will put their hope.

I, the LORD, have called you in righteousness;
I will take hold of your hand.
I will keep you and will make you to be a covenant for the people
and a light for the Gentiles, to open eyes that are blind,
to free captives from prison and to release from the dungeon those who sit in darkness.
Isaiah 42:3-4, 6-7

3 comments:

mary straton said...

You did it!

LT (and Max) said...

IT'S TIME TO PARTY!!!! WE'RE OUT OF SCHOOL!! WOO HOO!!!!!!

LT (and Max) said...

and might i also add that i'm very proud of you for sticking with a tough year. i knew you could do it!!
i love sara groves too.