Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Battle of the crickets and the swangin' arm

Let me show you what greeted me the other morning as I went to step into the shower. Two of them, to be exact. Because of these monsters (camel crickets. thank you google) lurking in my shower, I went to work unshowered. It was not worth it to get clean after waking up to this.

I got home from school and hurried to the shower to get ready for the Matt Kearney concert (which by the way was SO fun) and THEY WERE STILL THERE. They had not moved two inches. So begins the quest to rid my shower of camel crickets. I didn't want to kill them in the shower, because I didn't want to bathe with cricket guts everywhere, and believe me, there would have been a lot.

I tried slamming a glass down over them, one at a time, to capture them and slide them out with paper under the glass. After they simultaneously lept great heights, nearly taking my eye out, and after I almost shattered the glass trying to catch them, I decided a more lethal measure was called for. Little did I know, the chosen method may be lethal to the camel crickets AND myself.

I used Raid roach spray on them, and it worked, but not quickly. They died a slow and painful death as I hovered over them for at least 5 minutes (each), fumigating their lungs and my bathroom with the spray. Upon their death and removal from my shower, I could barely breathe from the fumes. The basement STILL smells of roach spray. Today I have a cough. There's no point to this story but to explain why I didn't shower for days (lethal air) and to express my hatred for camel crickets (this is not my first experience with them.)

Second note of the day: Oh how I love my job, let me count the ways. I was going through some papers I made my 8th graders write on what they thought the most important thing they've learned in my class so far--one girl wrote, "I learned Miss H walk REALLY fast and if she keep swangin her arm like that, it gone fall off." Yessssssss. They are learning the important things. That's all that matters.

Hope you're all having a good day out there.

4 comments:

Marty said...

straight up swangin'!

LT (and Max) said...

you really are a "swanger" claire..haha. love your student stories.

i think you made up the whole thing about the crickets in your shower just as an excuse for not showering for 3 days.

nice try.

The Texas VicHorns said...

Now THAT is funny. Didn't Edam Telle used to make fun of the way you walked across the drill field? maybe i made that up.

Go to San Antonio with LT in February and I'll meet you girls there.

Jack, Emily, SB & Annie said...

you are so brave, fighting the evil crickets in your shower. I would have called in for backup (Jack).

hope your lungs recover.