Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I'm officially a school marm

When would you say one becomes a "real" teacher? When you start wearing jumpers with pencils, apples, and rulers embroidered on them? When you start wearing t-shirts that say "Teachers have class?" (That one's for you, Mrs. Sassafras) or when you go to bed at 9:00 at night?

I think for me it's the teacher shoes. Many of you in the medical community will recognize the Dansko clogs. I had never heard of them until my nurse roommate mentioned them one night when I was complaining about how bad my feet hurt after school everyday. I mean, I do wear heels at least 3 days a week. I know, I must be on crack. Heels at school? But seriously--I have only so many pairs of comfortable shoes that are appropriate for work, and those only go with so many pants/skirts. And so I have a bit of a quandary.

And really, I've been ok with heels. Low heels, mind you. UNTIL. I tried on the Danskos belonging to my other roommate, dietician Katie. They felt pretty good. So, I wore them to school today. They made no fashion statement, but let me tell you--I felt like I was walking on clouds alllllllllllll day. Amazing--I didn't feel my feet. I will never wear heels to school again. It made the day so much better. I don't care if I ever match another day in my life.

I'm sure you could riverdance in them. They're big. They're bulky. They're clogs. They're ugly. And I will proudly wear them everyday of the rest of my working life. Yes. Ladies and gentlemen, I am a real teacher.

3 comments:

mary straton said...

i really have no words for this. Wait, "hideous" comes to mind.

Anonymous said...

Around our house they're (dis)affectionately known as the taters. You'll be better off than the guy in my department that wears his purple and gold LSU Tiger Crocs everyday.

Anonymous said...

Ah, Pippi...After you teach a few more years, your shoes will not be the only hideous thing about you! Don't forget the Eagle Eye Christmas sweaters! Mrs. Sassafras
It's 7:45 p.m., and I am not in the bed yet! Love ya...