Wednesday, October 1, 2008

October Road

I'm not sure when exactly I starting loving October as much as I do. It is by far my favorite month of all, and something about it is so energizing to me.

Even though it's fall, and most people would use these words to describe spring, I must say that in October, everything just feels new and comfortable at the same time.

I compulsively write a tribute to October on my blog every year, usually on the 1st. I always include this passage, which I love, and which I think articulates why I love it.

Here it is, for the third year in a row:

Autumn is the season when a year grows old.
Its strength begins to wane,
its light begins to go dim.
It is a reminder of our own mortality and faltering strength.
It is the season when we begin to look,
not to the earth for hope,
but toward a "city not made with hands,
whose architect and builder is God."
Outwardly we are wasting away,
but inwardly we are being renewed day by day.
Here's to October, fall, cooler weather, caramel apples, pumpkins, leaves, long walks, shorter days. I love long days, but let's face it, I've started going to bed at an unreasonably early hour, and it being dark out earlier helps me feel justified. Happy October!

1 comment:

mary straton said...

October always reminds me of you, my friend.

You must see Olive in her kimono.