Thursday, September 20, 2007

A scone with your tea, lad?

It's official. I love 7th & 8th grade so much more than 6th grade. They're so much quirkier in their own little ways. And despite all evidence to the contrary, there's still a little kid in each of them. It's hilarious to see how rough and tough they are one minute and how captivated they are by Spongebob Squarepants the next.

Thus I am teaching a few short stories by Roald Dahl, the master English storyteller and crafter of "Revolting Rhymes." He's written some of my favorites, namely Matilda and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, among others.

8th grade just read "The Landlady," a horror story about an old woman who kills, embalms, and stuffs her bed and breakfast guests by putting poison in their tea. So tomorrow, I am taking English breakfast tea and scones for them. I'm trying to figure out how to make them think that I've poisoned the tea without making the nightly news or getting fired.

Here's a highlight--I get to see an old friend, Anna Seesock Langston, this weekend! I haven't seen her since Christmas.

I wouldn't end this post so abruptly were I not half asleep on the keyboard. Goodnight now.

7 comments:

LT (and Max) said...

i love anna seesock. tell her hello!!!

wish you were going to be here for the game!!

Anisa said...

LOVE roald dahl. the witches, matilda, etc. so great.

saw another great church sign today: forbidden fruit usually creates a jam.

Anonymous said...

i love roald dahl!!!!! those books were my favorites growing up!

LWolfe said...

i fear for your students....did you freak them out? don't get sued. did you take law for educators?

kurt said...

Jim is gone! I cry myself to sleep at night. FALSE! I do not miss him.

Anonymous said...

Those kids will never forget you! (Scones and Tea). Just think how you have enlarged their vocabulary. I had 11th graders who never heard of a scone.

Go Girl!

The Texas VicHorns said...

katey overstreet posted about Felicity.

stewed tomatoes and okra anyone??

I miss Felicity. and the way we used to say it in "the voice".