Thursday, June 7, 2007

Here's to Girl Scout Jamboree and mentors!

Good evening, worldwide readership.
A couple of things on this rainy eve.

1. I am heading out in the morning for a weekend camping trip in North Carolina. Fly fishing, sleeping under the stars, hiking, and cooking over a jetboil. Sweet bliss, lest we get eaten by bears or straight up abducted. Which, if you've watched the news recently, seems to be more and more likely these days. So, I'd be stretching the truth to say I'm not the least bit scurred. But I'm pumped nonetheless. 7 girls hanging out in the woods all weekend, no makeup, no fuss, just trees, mountains, crickets, and water. Sweet bliss. The picture you see to the right is a picture of the actual location which we'll be visiting.

On the off chance that I do get abducted, Mere, you inheret my journals. Ya, you can have my accessories, what few of them I own. Swart, my movie and music collections are yours. And family--you get all my pictures and books and everything else. Morbid, yes, but you can't be too prepared. Which is why I'm taking a world atlas and mase.


2. Not that anyone else really cares, but tonight I'm really, really excited about life. Earlier in the spring I decided to get a couple of my male students hooked up with a few of my good guy friends for some mentoring this summer and possibly beyond. Tonight they met, and we picked them up and had dinner at O'Charley's out close to the school.

It went so well--I loved seeing the boys, they LOVED Stuart, Will, and Benj, (and they will clearly love Gray when they meet him) and are already brainstorming stuff they can do together "just the guys" in the coming weeks. They're even picking out nicknames for the guys--Gray will be "Gramps," though he doesn't know it yet, and Benj will be "Benjaturtle" since he looks like (according to one of my students) a ninja turtle in his motorcycle helmet. Labeled for life, they say.

I am SO EXCITED about this. They absolutely light up at the prospect of older male company and guidance, and the guys who are going to be spending time with them will be such fun and solid influences. Not to mention they're great with them.
That wraps it up, guys. If I am consumed by bears this weekend, it was nice knowing you all.






6 comments:

Unknown said...

I once read that if a bear is trying to attack you, you should just lie there and not move at all.

Resisit all temptation to run and scream. Just lay down on God's green earth and play dead, which, chances are you will end up being in the end anyway.

Just a word to the wise, from the wise.

happy camping, my friend

LT (and Max) said...

can't wait to hear about it (well, hopefully i guess). thanks for leaving me your accessories claire. i do want those earrings you wore last week.

mary straton said...

oh to be a fly on the wall with all those guys.

i'm looking forward to hear about you roughing it. i don't think i would be able to survive without my hair equipment.

ps - i'm trying my hair curly today. here goes nothing...

Anonymous said...

Are you back yet? I can't wait to hear about your adventures. of course, in the off chance you DO become bear bait, at least i'll have your journals.

also, benjaturtle...that is great. since we seem to struggle so with laura's nickname, maybe we should let your students decide. ???

haileyrenea said...

i can't believe all i got was the "family" category. and your books?

i've seen your in home library, librarian.

Unknown said...

seriously, i want to know more about what you do. ...email me..shanrit@gmail.com...peace love and harmony, shannon