They're LISTENING to me! I mean it, they really are! I know it's only day three, but really--even before the first breakdown last year, none of them listened to a word I said. Didn't DO a thing I said, be it behavioral or academic. It's like they can SMELL a new teacher. Today I stepped out of the room for a second, and they started getting rowdy doing who knows what, and when I stepped back in the doorway to eye them, a hush fell over the room. I never thought that day would come, and it may never come again, but it happened today: the unthinkable. I saw signs of fear. I think it's the worm. They all think I'm going to cast a voodoo hex on them.
One more thing about school and then I'm not going to blog about teaching everyday, I promise. I got two of my students from last year! I was elated (believe it or not) to see two familiar faces in those desks. Two precious Hispanic students that I adore. One tiny, squirty boy who is the light of my life (ever since he came running up to me during a test frantically calling out with a heavy accent, "Miss H, my pen! My pen! MY PEN! It...it...it...it ran out of PAINT!") One huge 8th grader came looking for me in the hall before school this morning just to tell me that one of my students from my old school had come here--and he had the little guy in tow. I about jumped out of my skin.
Anyway, that's all. Goodnight, friends.
9 comments:
yay claire! i hope it's a great year for you.
yay ms. hardin!!! i like that you thre in that they think you will cast a voo-doo hex on them.
they love you.
you sound like a real teacher.
Someone has a birthday coming up... ;)
you officially upgraded from "sexy sub" to "tenacious teacher".
his pen ran out of paint. I LOVE it! you're the best, Ms. H! will you be reading "Our Town"?
You go girl. I love to read your school news. It is so entertaining.
Just keep the fear of God in them and
you will have the eating out of your hand.
Barbara
Hey,Claire, I just wanted to wish you a Happy (Late) Birthday!!!
Aimee Estill Kilpatrick
time for a new post, my friend.
ditto, LT
Post a Comment