Thursday, May 27, 2010

last day of school...


Aaaand...release breath. Today was the last day of school, though it doesn't feel like it should be. I don't feel like summer for some reason - I'm definitely still in school-mode.

Here are a few pictures from the last days of school - some of the stuff we did and some of the students I will miss next year probably much more than I think.

This was a really neat group of kids - very unique, smart, loving, creative, hilarious, endearing, and really just delightful. There were some seriously frustrating days with them, but the truth is that they just might be the only group of kids I've had that are, collectively, as quirky as I am.

This is one of my sweetest girls - a budding author, this one. And she knows it. I dubbed her "Sylvia Plath" the first week of school - she writes novels, and boy are they dramatic. And dark, like Plath. She's hilarious - definitely a mini adult. Such a little grown up. Love. Her.

This picture is from our end of school picnic in the park (that's our school in the background - it takes up an entire block). Here are some of my lovelies trying to stay out of the sun. Oh that I would be so careful.

Boys taking a break from basketball

THIS, people, is one of my favorite human beings of all time. She is HILARIOUS and tiny. At a pep-rally in September, she hopped in the middle of a huge circle of kids and BROKE IT DOWN like you have never SEEN! She had a mild physical INJURY after she finished her dance moves. The whole school was cheering for her. She greeted me every morning of the year with a high pitched and very enthusiastic, "Heeeeeyyyy Miss HARDINNNN!!!!"

Isn't she a cutie?


A little synchronized dancing (the bunny hop in case you're wondering) never hurt anyone... Because of this here child, I am a stronger woman. Also because of her my vocabulary has expanded exponentially. Never a dull moment.

Reorganizing the bookshelves...

Some of my homeroom boys -- some of their nicknames include "The Milkman," "BrickSquad," "The Sunny Professor," and "Young Freshness." Speaking of Young Freshness, this is a special 5th grade friend of mine. I taught his brother last year, and he just kind of took to me when he was in fourth grade. Ever since, we get quality time together because his teachers send him up to me when he gets in trouble. Not because I'm a good disciplinarian, but because it's much harder to be such a bad A when you're 9 and in a room full of 14 yr olds. This is him on the day of his promotion ceremony. Check out that shirt...he was BEAMING with pride. Love it.

Last day of class...I feel ya, brother.

They begged me for a worm on the last day of school, and I brought each of them one. I am creating a dangerous army of mini-mes.

Can't believe year #4 has wrapped up. Welcome, summer.

3 comments:

Silver Strands said...

You are an amazing person! I just discovered your blog and I've been catching up on your posts. You really are remarkable!

Thanks for sharing bits of your life with us, and I hope that you have a wonderful weekend!

LT (and Max) said...

you gave them a worm???!!!! i love it!

and i ditto the above comment. i couldn't do what you do every day, ms. hardin.

Krystal said...

oh gclaire. you will never know my envy of what you do. you're changing lives in those classrooms. you were so perfectly created to do just what you are doing and i sit here more jealous than ever before.

i love your blog and i love you. i miss you very much! enjoy your summer!!!