Wednesday, May 12, 2010

so much to talk about this morning, part II

My first class is settled down to read for a little bit (on Wednesdays we take some time to stretch out on the floor and read what we want to read - my favorite day of the week bar none) so I can finish my thoughts here. And they are mostly about school today, so...maybe boring for some of you. I'm sorry.

First I'd like to highlight one of my kids, with his permission of course. Each year, the Red Mountain Writing Project hosts an event called Writing With the Stars where National Writing Project teacher-consultants honor one of their outstanding writers at a reception where the students get to share their work.

I'd like you to meet Adonis. He is my honoree this year, and last night he shared the prologue of his science fiction novel (he's on chapter 3 now) called Machine Haven. I'm telling you, the kid is talented. Up until the second he got up to read his work, he was furiously scribbling and editing his prologue. He is hard core. And his writing actually makes me want to read science fiction. That's the stuff of a writer, right there.


Look for him on bookshelves in a few years - you'll likely find him there.

Along that vein, I need your advice. I'm starting a new blog where my kids can share what they've written. I want to learn WordPress, because it's more conducive to multiple contributors, plus it just looks better. I need a name for this new blog.

I thought of Downtown Shakespeare, or By the Waters of Babylon (a short story we read by Stephen Vincet Benet that we love) but that's all I've come up with. Any ideas, friends?

Ultimately, the kids will decide, but I need some good options to put on the table so it won't end up with a name like Miss Hardin and the ones who test her gangster.

Meanwhile, I have an entire class that wants to nominate me for What Not to Wear.

I'm serious! I didn't think I was that bad of a dresser, but to be honest I don't really give much thought to what I put on in the morning. They think they can get me on the show, though, and I'm all for it - $5,000 and a makeover! Bring it! To quote the one who is spearheading this effort,

"Miss Hardin, it's not that you're a terrible dresser, it's just that you're almost 29 and you look like you're 17. We can fix that for you."

Amen, sister. While I do hope I have that problem when I'm 50, I think it would behoove me now to look like someone who pays taxes.

msk(s), what say you?

No comments: