I remember the first time that the sacrifices of our military men and women really sank in for me. It was just after my sophomore year of college, and I sat beside a small white cross marking the grave of an unknown soldier killed during WWII in the campaign for Normandy.I sat next to this cross and started to wonder about the life of the soldier that lay beneath it. What was his or her name? Did this soldier have a family? A husband or wife, a mother or father? Children, best friends? What were the desires, fears, dreams, etc. of this person who gave their life for my freedom? What did he hope for, and what did he aspire to?
And since this soldier's identity is unknown, was I the only person ever to have sat next to his grave and wonder these things?
After dwelling on that life for a long time, I stood up and looked across the cemetery at the sea of white crosses scattered as far as I could see. The reality of the loss of war hit me then in a way I don't think it could have had I not spent time dwelling on the loss of one life...how many desires, then, were represented in this whole graveyard? How many dreams, fears, hopes, children unborn, songs and novels unwritten, and medical cures undiscovered?
It was overwhelming to think about. The bravery and sacrifice of these men and women is astounding.
To each veteran out there, to each person serving here or abroad, and to those who gave their lives for our freedom,
Thank you.
And this may sound cheesy, but I'm doing it anyway. After the time I spent next to that little white cross, I vowed that though I didn't know that person's name, I would not let that soldier be forgotten.
And so to THAT soldier, thank you.
I would also like to add this prayer by Scotty Smith, pastor of Christ Community Church in Franklin, TN, courtesy of Ricky Jones via Facebook notes. I love this.
A Prayer About the War to End All Wars
I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and makes war. His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God.
The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. Out of his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. "He will rule them with an iron scepter." He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty. On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS. Revelation 19:11-16
Most mighty and merciful Jesus, on this Memorial Day I gladly stop to honor the men and women who’ve served our country in various branches of the armed forces. In a world filled with “wars and rumors of war,” I don’t take our servicemen and servicewomen for granted. There’s has never been more of a thankless, even despised job.
But on this particular Memorial Day, I want to stop and honor you as the ultimate servant-warrior—the quintessential Service Man… the One, who on the cross, waged the war to end all wars.
No one hates warfare among vying nations more than you. No one is more offended even by the petty and pointless squabbles between spouses and friends (James 4:1-2). No one paid a greater price to bring the final and full peace for which we intensely long and hope.
Having secured the defeat of the king of darkness on the cross, you’re now the rider on the white horse—alone worthy of the name Faithful and True. You are faithful to fulfill every promise God made for the salvation of his people and the restoration of creation. And you are truly bringing to completion this good work of redemption, for your name is also the Word of God.
Though evil hates beauty, your love trumps all evil. Evil will not prevail. It has been defeated and it will be eradicated. You are already the KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS. Your kingdom has come and your kingdom is coming. So very Amen, I pray, in the memory and victory of your matchless name.
No comments:
Post a Comment