1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before? Went hiking and camping in North Carolina on the Appalachian Trail. So fun.
2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions and will you make more for next year?
I don't make resolutions. Not just because it's a new year, anyway. I find that if my motivation is just that it's a new year, I won't keep them.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Oh my goodness yes...let's see if I can remember them all...sweet Anna Katherine Grisham had baby Max, Emily Redwood had baby Sarah Beth (Screamy Face), Kelly Flowers Butler had Emily Kate (haven't seen her yet...oh my gosh), and Mary Straton had twins Charlie and Olive.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Yes, my uncle (mom's brother-in-law)
5. What countries did you visit?
I stayed in the U.S. all year.
6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
More patience
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Finishing my first year of teaching. I wanted to walk out and quit so many times, and I think just not quitting was probably my biggest achievement.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Sacrificing my social life for a whole year to unnecessarily overwork myself.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Thankfully, no.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I would have to say a car. Although I miss the Emerald Monster.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
I wish I could say our golden retriever, Dooley. But we're still working on it.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Mike Huckabee's son's 1998 stray dog slaying. Breaks my heart. I'm sure there is plenty worse, but that's what I thought of first.
14. Where did most of your money go? Rent, taxes, and gas
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? A lot of things. Summer, Art on the Rocks at the Bham Museum of Art, concerts, anything at Workplay, coffee in the morning (every morning), the Chicken Club quesadilla at Moe's (for a limited time only), having girls' wine nights at 728, cold weather, and the list goes on and on and on. I get excited about a lot of things.
16. What song will always remind you of 2007? Sara Groves "Less Like Scars," Mindy Smith's "Angel Doves" and her Christmas album, Ryan Adams' version of "When the Stars Go Blue," and Amos Lee's "Sweet Pea."
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: Happier or sadder? Thinner or fatter? Richer or poorer? I'd say almost exactly the same. Only maybe poorer now that I have a car payment. I'm pretty consistent.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Running
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?Working and planning outside school while simultaneously blaming myself if all of my students didn't do well. Boy I learned not to do THAT pretty quickly.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I spent Christmas with my family in Nashville. It was wonderful.
21. Did you fall in love in 2007?
Yes. With Dwight Schrute and Jack Bauer. How did I never watch 24 before the 6th season aired??!!
23. How many one-night stands?
Zero (you're all gasping in shock, I'm sure)
24. What was your favorite TV show?
The Office and 24, hands down. They are the ONLY shows I watched.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? Nope
26. What was the best book you read?
Hinds' Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard
27. What was your greatest musical discovery? I tend to stick with what I love. James Taylor, Patty Griffin, Mindy Smith, Sara Groves, Amos Lee, Billy Joel, Eva Cassidy, and a few other newer discoveries like MC Hammer, Jermaine Dupree, and Ace of Base ;)
28. What did you want and get?
Good, solid community in Birmingham
29. What did you want and not get?
More patience
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
I didn't see too many movies in 2007--but I'd definitely say Little Miss Sunshine. That was 2007, wasn't it?
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
For my 26th, I cooked out with friends on a Sunday afternoon and went to bed early.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I honestly can't think of anything. My year was pretty good--I mean, it could always be better I suppose--a trip to NYC or Europe, a huge pay increase, etc etc, but why think that way? We don't KNOW that the grass is always greener. It might even be DEAD on the other side. Or gravel.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
I hate fads. Hate them. If I like something that is also a fad, I may wear it---but only if I know I will wear it the next year as well. I will never actually go shopping for "the latest." What a waste of money. But of the 2007 trends, I'd say my favorite was the updated trench coat with the ever so slightly puffed sleeves. I've worn mine to bits and still going strong. I do like a few weird things, like a sweater with birds crocheted on the back.
34. What kept you sane? a good night's sleep, red wine, time with friends, and grace upon grace
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Steven Colbert
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
I'd really rather not talk politics. Not tonight. Bad day for discussing politics.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Oh my gosh--I've met several great new friends since the dawn of '07. The perks of being a relatively new resident in a new city--you keep meeting people.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.
I learned a great many, and on a couple I'm agreeing wholeheartedly with Anisa--that A) Just because you work really hard does not mean you will be appreciated. Any validation you find that you need must often come from elsewhere. And B) Don't allow work stress to bleed into other areas of your life. Not good. Also, C) Never make any assumptions about a person until you know them. Nine times out of ten, you'll be surprised. Besides, assumptions get in the way of really seeing a person. And hhmm...D) Going to bed early, even if you're not tired, is always, always worth whatever you think you're missing out on (on week nights, that is). E) Pasta and soup are great meals when you're out of money at the end of the month. Always have some stored up just in case. And last but not least...F) Hot chocolate really is worlds better when made with milk instead of water.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. THIS is tough. I'm going to go with Bebo Norman's "Be My Covering." I'd say this was my prayer through most of 2007.
"The sun gives to a darkened sky
Blood red are the tears we cry
So far from Your design
Oh God, hear me tonight
Though the waters rise
They will not pull me under
When the mountain slides
And crashes to the sea
I will lift my eyes
And call out to You,
Father Be my covering
War-torn are the rags of every nation
Fear lives in the heart of every home
Louder than the groans of creation
Oh, my God, be the voice of hope"
5 comments:
i am glad you are my friend. you are smart and quick-witted.
I also LOVE "sweet pea."
I had forgotten that I gave birth to dogs in 07.
I love you, claire. I'm lucky to be in your family.
claire...NO one night stands? im so disappointed in you.
what a prude.
btw, sorry I forgot to claim myself. it's LBBBB!!!
Great post! I totally agree that hot chocolate with milk is a whole new world. I can't stand it with water. Ew.
You are one cool chick.
Post a Comment