Friday, April 20, 2007

Leave a good thing alone

Alright, I'm blogging on Friday night. Normally my excuse would be the fact that it's Friday, and we all know what teachers are like on Friday, don't we? Well, LT understands anyway. I have no such excuse...this week is spring break.

I heard something today on the radio that demands immediate attention. I think I've heard it before, but I'd forgotten about it. Blocked it from my memory, which I will do again right after I alert you all to this tragic case of musical detonation.

On my way to Starkville today, I turn on the radio in my car and am flabbergasted to hear Vince Gill singing not one of his classic tunes, but Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You." I almost pulled over for a moment of silence.
Now, I am of the belief that if you can't sing a song as good or better than its original artist, you should leave it alone. It's bad enough when Rascal Flatts redoes "Life is a Highway" and Lonestar (of all groups) tries their hand at "Walking in Memphis," but come on, Whitney Houston? Vince Gill? Seriously? It was a shameless travesty...blasphemous...a mockery.

Now the memories of my first 7th grade slow dance are dashed. Thanks, Vince.

4 comments:

The Kosko Family said...

i'll add a couple that not everyone will agree with me on, but. . .

tim mcgraw singing ryan adam's "when stars go blue"

and

the dixie chicks "singing" patty griffin's "let him fly"

can't deal.

LT (and Max) said...

vince gill is DEFINITELY on my top 10 most terrible people list (along with wife amy grant)

thanks for forcing me to listen to a gill/grant duet today. sick.

haileyrenea said...

amy grant and vince gill are still married? i thought he cheated or something. who knew...

Krystal said...

this just in from the country music capital of the USA:

the song is actually sung by vince gill and dolly parton. and what makes that ok is that dolly parton wrote that song.

whitney just sang it first, but dolly really has the rights to do whatever she wants :)

just so you know. hehe.