Sunday, April 22, 2007

A tribute to the Emerald Monster...

...Otherwise known as Emmy, my dear vehicle of seven years that has carried me through college and beyond, taken many a wrong turn and endured many a prank, pothole and entirely too many flat tires. She's been a loyal one.

As sad as I am to lose her, I must admit I am comforted by the fact that I've returned to my first love, the Volvo. Even so, Emmy's durability and dependability will be hard to match.

And so I must pay tribute.


The Emerald Monster's top moments/traits:

1. The freshman year double pothole/double flat episode en route to Old Venice from Rice Hall via Blackjack Road. Kate, you remember. Thanks again, Kell, for the extra spare tire. I still owe you for that one.

2. Road trip to Charleston...harrassing truckers and getting flipped off by every driver between Mississippi and South Carolina for doing 50 in the fast late. And lest we forget clutch. Again, Kate, you were there for that one. I don't think elaboration is appropriate here.

3. Walking out of my apartment my senior year to find poor Emmy covered in red dirt. Thanks Kate and Hossy.

4. Getting pulled over by the Starkville police for "suspicious behavior"--driving whilst dangling a dead rat out the driver window--noosed with orange caution tape.

5. Cruising the bypass with a cup of joe, Meredith Murphy, the Kentucky dream, and Rascal Flatts' "Feels Like Today." No questions, please.

6. Innocently following runners and bikers through town, driving at their pace, blaring "Eye of the Tiger" with the windows down. I had no idea they were running right next to me. Really, I didn't.

7. The slower-than-molasses driver's side window with which I've held up many a bank drive-through line.

8. The joyful chirp of the passenger automatic door lock--often mistaken for a chorus of mockingbirds.

9. Painted windows. Mainly for campaigns and confessions of love for Adam Telle.

10. The elusive "moderate" setting on the windshield wiper intervals. Two speeds: Tortoise and lightning. No inbetween. Such is life.

Thanks for the good times, Emmy. I'll miss you.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

i love the rat tale.

LT (and Max) said...

i'm glad that i could have one last drive in emmy.
the drive from bham to starkville was spent in silence.
i've been there and understand your pain.

Anonymous said...

How can you honestly list the top 10 events in your car's history and not name the "cricket incident" in at least the top 3? What a sham of a list.

Anonymous said...

hossy that was not the emerald monster--that was the volvo...

The Texas VicHorns said...

"and it feels like today....I know..." nice.

Krystal said...

claire what happened to your dear car? why did you get a new one? and yes, that cricket incident was in your volvo. i'll never forget the cricket legs that would fly out of the air vent for months and months after that incident. good times in all of claire's cars.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure there'll be plenty of opportunities to get flipped off by fellow drivers alongside your new ride as well...looking forward to it.