Gooood MORNING Viet Scranton!Hope everyone had an extraordinary weekend. I sure did. I attended Mule Day 2007 in Columbia, Tennessee. One word: Wondrous. Magnificent. Sensational. Downright awe-inspiring, if you will.
A few friends and I packed up on Friday and headed out to stay with our friend Will's family in Columbia to experience this fine occasion. After a morning Rotary breakfast of pancakes, mule sausage, coffee, Mountain Dew, and carbonated orange juice, we headed out to see the parade. Mules, horses, sheep, miniature mules, the Mule Queen and her court, child beauty queens, boy scouts, political parties, local politicians, and anyone else who felt like hopping on the parade that day (our friend Benj, for example) made their way through downtown Columbia as we looked on in the April rain. It was truly magical.
I learned a lot--for instance, the mule is an animal of the herd, so a lone mule is in fact a very lonely mule. Also, did you know donkeys evolved in the desert? I didn't. To top it off, I discovered a delightful affection and fervor for the miniature mule and shetland donkey that I never knew I had. You laugh, but I'm serious.
Will's parents were so sweet to host us--they fed us, housed us, and entertained us all weekend--and his dad took us on a hayride and built a bonfire afterwards. Sweet memories in the making. I'm posting a few favorite pictures from the weekend. Seriously, if you've never been to Mule Day, you're missing out.




3 comments:
I think it would be a fun "life goal" to hit up as many small town festivals as possible. So far in my life, I've only been to three: Cotton District Arts Festival, Prairie Arts Festival and the infamous Covered Bridge Festival (Oneonta, AL.... Blount County had the most covered bridges of any county with 5, until the late 90's when two were destroyed by arsonists and the coveted title was given to a small rural town in Montana).
count me in for mule day 2008.
i'm actually shocked that you would eat mule sausage.
Post a Comment