Monday, April 30, 2007

Just a few things...

Not sure why I love Mondays, but I do. Just a couple of things today to share with my worldwide readership:

1. Happy birthday Travis! T-Wolfe, aka Travioli, and his wife Laurette are two good friends from State and quite possibly two of my favorite people in the world. Today is Trav's 25th, so a birthday salute is definitely in order. To my fellow Kenny Chesney hater--may your skies be as blue as your coffee is black, your cigars as mellow as a Jimmy Buffett tune, and your troubles as miniscule as your delicate china tea cup. Love ya, Trav! Happy 25th.

2. I just ordered an exorbitant number of books from ebay and amazon for my classroom library. Now, those of you who know me well will know that I've always had a thing for libraries. (Hailey, keep your mouth shut.) It is one of my truest desires that one day I might have a room in my house reserved only for books. The walls of this room shall be lined with wooden shelves, and there will be a fireplace, big soft chairs, books, a reading lamp, and nothing else. Except maybe a fog machine.

In light of this aspiration, I've been building a personal library over the years. Since starting to teach in August, I have found myself on an unending quest to make my students love to read. Hence, my library building has switched from childhood favorites (Pippi Longstocking, Alice in Wonderland, Anne of Green Gables) and other classics and good reads (in my opinion) to hyper adolescent literature, which I suppose are also good reads, except that now I'm too broke to build two libraries at once. See list below to peruse the newest additions to my new (and urban) library.

Forged by Fire by Sharon Draper, The Pact by Dr. Rameck Hunt, Bang by Sharon Flake, and The Piano Lesson by August Wilson. Just a sampling of the new additions to the library. Not quite Alice in Wonderland, but it takes all kinds to make a world.

3. My little sister, Hailey, is living in Birmingham this summer for an internship. I'm pumped. She's a photographer...a really good one. She's also way cuter than me, to my (massive, I'm sure) male readership. Also, she's a walking quirk if ever there was one. What can I say, she learned from the best.

Here's to Monday!

6 comments:

haileyrenea said...

I have just a few things of my own, sis.

1. I absolutely, under no circumstances, will EVER keep my mouth shut. Hence, the excerpt from the "about me" of my facebook:

"i have a fish that won't die. i have a sister who used to be a librarian. she twiddles fishing worms. my favorite day is thursday."

Take that.

2. Thanks for dedicating a third of your current post to your younger, quirky sister. I'm honored. Any you are entirely correct- I did learn from the best.

Here's to the libraries, in-house movie theaters (complete with pricey popcorn and candy), and homemade circuses (please tell me you remember that).

3. It's going to be a fabulous summer.

mary straton said...

Although I vehemently disagree with your membership, welcome to the My Younger Sister is Cuter Than Me Club.

LT (and Max) said...

i'm president of the club! however, neither of you should be in it.

p.s. msks, i like how you used the word "vehemently". i had to look it up and i'm going to try to incorporate it into conversation today.

haileyrenea said...

fine. harris and heather and i will form our own club.

wait. i think we may have already done that. all I remember is sitting on a log behind the Karatassos home with harris discussing names for it. We settled on "the H club" and decided to ask Heather to join.

we never got around to that last part.

15 years later, the H club is revived!

LWolfe said...

i saw that pic of you and Travioli somewhere the other day. It's so cute. i miss our college days!! LOVE yOU!

Anonymous said...

Claire and Travis-- you'll be happy/alarmed to know that I was in Starkville last weekend, and the tree in front of which you're posing for that picture now contains a 5'x 5' birdnest wrapped in ribbon, housing large, fake blue robin's eggs. WHAT THE CRAP?