I've been tossing around the idea of a 10-day detox since Easter weekend. Now, lest you start to label me, let me assure you that I am not the earthy type who demands that all food be organic and all medicinals be herbal. Nor do I wear Berkinstocks year round, and yes, my feet have arches and no, I do not wear or smoke hemp. Just in case I needed to clarify.I am health conscious, however, and this detox diet intrigues me. This diet, aka the lemonade diet, requires that one down 32 oz. of sea salt water first thing every morning (in one sitting), drink a gallon of spring water mixed with the juice of 5 lemons, grade B molasses, and cayenne pepper (for the liver) throughout the day, and have one cup of herbal laxative tea every night before bed. That's it. No food, no medicine (for any reason), and no compromises for 10 days.
My sister, Hailey, is on her 8th day of said diet, and she is blogging about it. I would link it, but it's graphic. You wouldn't want to read it. If you do, email me and I'll send you the link. Anyway, she's on the 8th day. Has pink eye in both eyes, a sore throat, her tongue is white, she has back pain, and can barely talk. To me, it doesn't seem as though her body is being detoxed. Deteriorating, perhaps, but not detoxed.
And so I've put my detox plans on hold for now, and instead decided to drink liver tea every night. Supposedly, it promotes healthy liver function and helps digest fats and promotes digestion by aiding in the manufacture of bile.
I just tried some, and
it's pretty gross. Anything that contains all five tastes (sweet, sour, bitter, pungent, and salty) is bound to be disgusting, if you ask me. It's zesty, I'll give it that much.My question to all of you is this: How far would you go for a quality liver? Would you, daily, gulp down a steaming mug of virtual liquid curry? Would you have 32 oz. of saltwater for breakfast every morning, give yourself the runs and not eat for 10 days straight? Oddly enough, I'm still considering it.
Just thought I'd take a poll.
6 comments:
I had a friend that did this and he said he had to race to the commode (haha) the minute he woke up. He felt very cleansed afterward, just make sure the bathroom isnt too far away!
tell hailey to stop!!!! i had a friend that did it and it really messed her up! ew.
i want to read her journal about it though. haha.
miss you!
does this mean you can't eat mexican food?
no thank you.
it's not worth it to me. sorry.
i'm with laura...no diet or "detox" is worth no mexican food....
count me out.
plus, i'll spare you the details, but if you have a baby, they give you a little treatment that is easier than a detox.....it starts with and "e" and rhymes with "enema"......
I like this little straw poll you're running.
Sounds rediculous - why make other organs suffer for the revitalization of another? A diet of peeps and cow tales sounds perfectly appropriate to me. I must not have the same special relationship with my liver as you evidently do.
Could I just say in my defense, and in the ultimate defense of the lemonade diet- that I feel fantastic?
I'm on day 10. And I haven't felt this good... ever in my life.
Post a Comment