Wednesday, April 4, 2007

My list.

On the tails of Lacey and Laura, I've made the list of things I want to do before I die. It's tentative, but most items on the list have been there for a long, long time, so they probably won't soon be coming off. Particularly #'s 15, 18 and 20. Here they are, in no particular order.

1. Dance like nobody's watching
Kidding. I just wanted to make you throw up a little bit.

2. Adopt a foster child
Just one…or three or twelve.

3. Spend Christmas in New York
Or shoot…just GO to New York. I’ve always been in love with New York City, but I’ve never been there. Oh to spend Christmas Eve ice skating at Rockefeller Center.

4. Start playing the piano again
I still remember the last song I ever played on the piano: Velocity. And I played it with gusto. Now, I can’t even play chopsticks. I couldS kick myself for quitting. So, I want to relearn. Or, I could always go back to the trumpet.

5. Learn to love sushi
I try to love it, I really do. It’s so healthy and chic. But I have a lot of trouble with this endeavor. It’s just so…squishy.

6. Start an inner-city residential school with Anna Duggan somewhere in the South
Duggan and I have had this in the works for a couple of years now. She and I will teach, but we’ll need people to do PR, fundraising, and administration. Any takers?

7. Run the Boston Marathon
Ideally, this would happen before I’m 30. You don’t even want to know how painfully far away from this goal I am right now.

8. Pull off the perfect prank
And just what is the perfect prank, you ask? Can’t tell. You may be the victim.

9. Watch all 5 previous seasons of 24
Live a day with Jack Bauer, if you will. This could easily happen this summer. Starting at 8:00 a.m. one day, and ending at 8:00 a.m. the following day. Makes perfect sense, really.

10. Live in a foreign country
France, China, Mexico, Austria, Yemen, New Zealand, Russia, Switzerland, Alabama. It’s all the same. I want to live abroad for at least a year of my life…not sure how, when, or where this would happen, but it’s worth a top spot on the list. Well, okay, maybe not Mexico.

11. Write a book
I love to write. When there’s no pressure to write, anyway. How much fun would it be to write children’s books?? I did actually begin a novel with my best friend in junior high entitled, “The Mysterious Chrome Ladder,” does that count?

12. Pick one favorite author and read everything they ever wrote
I just like this idea.

13. Stop hitting the snooze button
The snooze should never have been invented. It really has no purpose…no quality additional sleep ever comes from hitting the snooze button.

14. Work in an art museum
Or a multi-arts organization/festival. Ever since the summer of 2003, this has been on the top half of the list. Love it.

15. Own a canoe, and row it often
Laugh all you want, but I’m serious. Very serious, actually. I already tried to get one on ebay…but just before I cast my bid, I noticed the fine print at the bottom: “inflatable canoe and paddles.”
Better luck next time.

16. Live next door to Meredith M. Horn
We are double trouble when we’re together, so naturally I think we should not only live in the same state, but also on the same street.

17. Buy a really old house and fix it up
Old houses are the best houses.

18. Be in a Movie
Okay, I realize that this probably won’t happen, but old dreams die hard. I still have the “money for California” piggybank from my childhood, and I will never throw it away. Ever.

19. Plant red tulips
Anytime I’ve ever tried to plant anything, it basically starts growing already dead. I want to plant a TON of red tulips and watch them grow…

20. Have coffee with Martin Short
Those of you who know me will need no explanation.

21. Perform in The Sound of Music
One of the greatest musicals of all time. Could I please be Liesel??!! Better start voice lessons tomorrow.

4 comments:

LT (and Max) said...

excellent list.

it's funny how different ours are.
i, for one:
a. could careless about writing a book.
b. have no desire to live in a different country (I'm proud to be an american...as Lee Greenwood would say, "God Bless the USA." gotta love Lee)
c. and no offense, but i would rather have coffee with george strait or jerry seinfeld than martin short. sorry. :)

Anonymous said...

great list...i'm just so proud! you know, we live in the same city and i'm pretty sure we would be trouble together :) i would love to live abroad too, but since i've gotten married, i don't think it's very probable. i found an author i LOVE and am working on reading everything she's ever written (jodi picoult). i've always wanted to be in a movie as well. i was the voice of a certain character on a christmas musical CD distributed to churches across america. we later then did a DVD as well. i will never tell you which musical this was though. that's the closest i've come. i'm adding to my list as well. maybe i'll have most of them done by 30.

mary straton said...

love your list. i'm making a mental one of my own. comments:
1) I will work in your school. i think i would be good in administration.
2) i'm with you on 24. kell and i have been planning on doing that for a while now. just haven't gotten around to it.
3) if you pick Harper Lee and read To Kill a Mockingbird, you've done #12. I have.

Anonymous said...

Claire, I enjoyed the list.
re: #8--I've always thought you WERE pulling a prank.
#18 You tried to convince me that you really were the actress in Pippi Longstocking...What gives?

Sassafras